Sunday, December 4, 2016

My tapestry to accompany a statue of Wepwawet is done, but it's WARPED! I took to the internet, and found the warpage is to be expected if one doesn't use an embroidery hoop. Apparently even if I had used a hoop, this could have happened.

Okay... I've sent for a blocking board, but have learned I could have problems straightening this. It turns out I wasn't supposed to have HEMMED it until after it is finished and blocked! The salvage is required to pin down and wrangle with for the evening up. Also, if one uses a hoop, it gives fabric that can be encapsulated by the hoop.

Perhaps forty years ago, I might have known this. I've forgotten it since of course. And as I sew for a living, I surged ahead with the idea that if it involves thread and a needle, I didn't need any instructions!

I was wrong, of course. I've learned a lot during this project, knowledge that will be put to use for the next project.

The first thing I learned that with 18 count fabric and #5 pearl cotton thread, using a "cross" stitch doesn't work, except in rare places. The border is very stiff on the right side, as I'd jammed cross stitches into each "pixel" of the canvas.

Partway through on the border, I realized this and began doing half cross stitches. Then I learned a more effective way of making the stitch, called "continental":

I haven't yet tried it, but there's a diagonal stitch called "basketweave" that is good for large solid areas, and apparently it warps less. Another thing to try next time!

Meanwhile, for the continental stitch, going all in one direction would have been helpful:

You can see above the Wepwawet glyph to the right, I filled in vertically, instead of horizontally. I saw the subtle distortion, and didn't do that any more.

Also, I discovered I could change the direction of the diagonal in the stitch itself to mold the shape better:

The 'wep' glyph looks smoother than the Wepwawet glyph. The forward leg could have been done in the reverse direction for a smoother direction. Only the background stitch that touches the reversed stitch should change its direction. I have patches of reversed direction just to the left of the right 'horn' that stand out a bit.

But, hey, I learned a lot! Should I not be able to straighten it much, it may not be so obvious when it's hanging up.

I look forward to project number two with a much better process in mind!

Note of December 26, 2016: Now that the tapestry is done and in place, the unevenness isn't so apparent.

Go Forward...
Go Back to Archives...
Go Back to Main Journal Index Page...
Go to Index of Joan's pages...

© Joan Ann Lansberry